Winter is a great time to hit the trails, the local hiking trails. With some preparation, outdoor enjoyment, exploration and exercise awaits you throughout the Lake Sunapee area.
The Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge (SRK) Greenway Coalition has planned seven winter hikes that begin January 19. All hikes are free to the public.
For more information, go to www.srkg.com.
Hike organizers ask that you call the volunteer hike leader at least two nights before to learn starting location and time. Also, be prepared for winter conditions with clothing layers, food, and water. Snowshoes are the presumed mode of transport.
- January 19 (Sat.) – Andy Hager (526-2846) Cross-country ski on logging road from Wilmot to Bunker Place in New London. 4 mi. For experienced x-c skiers. (M)
- January 26 (Sat.) – Nick Baer (526- 8233) Bog Mountain fun family hike. Children’s activities along the way include animal tracking, games and hot cocoa at the summit. Starting at Stearn’s Road, the hike will finish at the Wilmot Library. 3.1 miles (M)
- February 2 (Sat.) – Dave Anderson (763-5958) or email@example.com. Dave’s Winter Wildlife Tracking snow shoe hike will take place on the lower slopes of Sunset Hill in Newbury. Dave promises to teach tracking patterns and natural history for common local wild mammals. 2 miles. (E-M)
- February 9 (Sat.) Brian Faughnan (526-7838) Snowshoe over winter trails in Wilmot’s Patterson Road area. Refreshments afterward at the Faughnans. 3 miles. (M)
- February 16 (Sat.) Peg Bastien (456-2347) Snowshoe in Warner’s Chandler Reservation up to the old fire tower. Some trails are rather steep. (M)
- February 24, 25 or 26 – David Cook (526-4570) Fifth Annual Moonlight Madness! Full moon snowshoe in New London to ridge-top skyline vista. Sponsored by SRKGC, Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust and New London Conservation Commission. Date selected for best moonlight conditions. 2 miles; two hours. (M) Not for novice snowshoers.
- March 2 (Sat.) – Gerry Gold (526-2857) From Andrew Brook Trail to Lake Solitude to Sunapee Ridge to Lucia’s Lookout. Beautiful and strenuous. 10 miles (D)
Greenway Trail Guides are available at local book stores. The SRK Greenway Coalition is a ten-town all-volunteer non-profit organization with members throughout the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge region and beyond.
Share your favorite winter hikes and images via SunapeeNews.com.
Filed under: Nature & Outdoors, New Hampshire, Recreation, Sports | Tagged: Hiking, Lake Solitude, Mount Sunapee, snowshoeing, Sunapee Ragged Kearsarge Greenway Coalition, winter hiking | Leave a Comment »